The man accused of opening fire on an Independence Day parade in suburban Chicago, killing seven, has been indicted by a grand jury on 117 felony charges.
The indictment included 21 first-degree murder counts, 48 counts of attempted murder and 48 counts of aggravated battery, representing the seven people killed and dozens wounded in the attack on the Fourth of July event in Highland Park, Illinois.
Prosecutors previously filed seven murder charges against Robert Crimo. They announced the grand jury’s decision to indict him on 117 felony charges on Wednesday.
Attorneys for Crimo have not made a formal response to any charges.
Prosecutors have said Crimo, 21, admitted to the shooting when police arrested him following an hours-long search on the day.
Under Illinois law, prosecutors can ask a grand jury to determine whether there is probable cause to proceed to trial. Grand jury proceedings aren’t open to the public and defense attorneys cannot cross-examine witnesses.
Authorities have said the more than 30 wounded in the attack, in addition to those killed, range in age from eight to their 80s, including an eight-year-old boy who was paralyzed from the waist down when the shooting severed his spine.
“I want to thank law enforcement and the prosecutors who presented evidence to the grand jury today,” Lake County state’s attorney, Eric Rinehart, said in a statement.
“Our investigation continues, and our victim specialists are working around the clock to support all those affected by this crime that led to 117 felony counts being filed today.”
Investigators believe Crimo blended in with the fleeing crowd to get away from the scene, then borrowed his mother’s car and briefly contemplated a second attack on a celebration in Madison, Wisconsin, before returning to Illinois where police arrested him.